Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Microloan Mysteries

Microloans may be a way to help others through this mess, especially other SEHIs. I had been thinking that, and then I happened to see a random posting on a web site asking about the same idea. It's funny how seeing even just one other person with the same "crazy idea" you have can be so empowering. If one person is a castaway on a desert island, two are the beginning of a movement.

So I was going to write about it. No, I thought, talk is cheap. If I can act, that is better than writing. I went to a microloan site to sign up as a lender, maybe help out some Exiles. I don't have a huge amount of spare money right now, but I thought maybe with, say, $200 I could make a difference for someone.

Then I saw the words. Words like suspended, not accepting new applications, transition, etc.

And my first thought wasn't, oh, too bad, bummer.

My first thought was, "is this real?" Maybe this is an Outlaw Planet attack. Maybe someone out there is trying to shut down microlending. Why?

That's the price we pay to live in 2019: whatever you thought you knew yesterday might be obsolete today. Whatever you thought you could count on might not be as real as it once was. We have to live a Post-Certainty Lifestyle. That should be a T-Shirt.

I will try again.

No comments: